What is the cost of living in Sardinia

786 total views
Sardinia is a large island in the Mediterranean Sea, and it has been inhabited for thousands of years. It is one of Italy‘s 20 regions and it has a population of 1.6 million people. Sardinia is a popular tourist destination because of its beaches, clear waters, mountains, and historical sites, and Cagliary, its capital, is consistently in the list of happiest places to live in Italy.

Popular Attractions in Sardinia

Some of the most popular tourist attractions in Sardinia include the archaeological park at Nora, the Nuraghe di Santa Cristina, and the San Giovanni Cathedral.

The archaeological park at Nora is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that contains ancient ruins from different eras. The Nuraghe di Santa Cristina is an ancient stone tower that was built by prehistoric people. It has been restored so visitors can climb to its top for a view of Sardinia‘s countryside. The San Giovanni Cathedral was built in 1064 and it contains many works of art including paintings by Renaissance artists Taddeo Gaddi and Jacopo Ligozzi as well as sculptures by Antonello Gagini.

Average Cost of Living

A single person living in Sardinia will spend an estimated USD $1100, excluding rent. A family of four can look at $4000 for the same. 

Rent Prices

The cost of living in Sardinia is relatively high compared to the rest of Italy. 

The average monthly rent for an apartment in Sardinia go from $550 to $1000, and the average monthly salary is $1,500 (after tax). Prices go up in better locations so keep that in mind in case you want to stay in a more popular location. 


The price of groceries depends on where you shop; prices are cheaper if you buy local produce instead of imported produce. Here is a list with some typical household items so you get an idea:

Transport Costs

Transport around the island is easy and it works well with buses, light rails or trains. You can buy tickets for the local transport if you are going to use it often and that will take the price down considerably if you compare it to a single ticket. One ticket is USD $1.54 and a monthly pass is $36, so definitely worth it if you are going to use it every day. 

If you are in need of taxis, they can cost you around USD $20 for an 8km ride (5 miles).

Entertainment Costs

Thankfully there are a lot of places to visit in Sardinia that are free, like 99% of the beaches (unlike other places in Italy where the access is not free). The remaining 1% can charge a 1 euro conservation fee.

Children, students and people over 65 can get discounts when visiting some attractions in Sardinia, and if are not in any of these categories but you’re on a budget, you can check if they have a tourist card, which can give you some savings. For example, the archeological park of Arzachena have tourist cards, so make sure you check that out. 

A meal at an inexpensive restaurant costs about $20 per person and a meal at an expensive restaurant costs about $50 per person. Cinema costs around USD$9 for a ticket for one.

Share this Post