Ask The Techspert: What about Smart Home Security?
Have a tech question that’s got you stumped? Send your tech questions to Techspert Jonathan using THIS FORM. He’ll be tackling one question a month from readers.
As technology advances, Smart Home Security systems are becoming increasingly popular, since people are looking for better ways to protect their homes and families. These systems typically include a variety of sensors and cameras that can be monitored remotely, as well as an alarm that can be triggered if a break-in is detected. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of a Smart Home Security system and how to choose one that fits your needs.
Why a Smart Home Security System?
There are several benefits to using a Smart Home Security system. Here are the main ones:
- Providing peace of mind to homeowners, knowing they can monitor their homes remotely anywhere. This means you can check on your home while at work, on vacation, or simply out running errands.
- Deterring burglars from targeting your home in the first place, since they are more likely to target homes they believe are not protected. And when they break in, you can catch them in the act and have undeniable supporting proof.
- Monitoring for hard-to-detect problems, such as water leaks or carbon monoxide leaks.
- Automating other aspects of home security, such as turning on lights, locking doors when the alarm is armed, etc.
Which Smart Home Security System?
When choosing a Smart Home Security system, there are several factors to consider. Some key features to look for include the following:
- Compatibility with your home automation platform, such as Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple Home, etc.
- Support for a wide range of sensors and cameras, including indoor and outdoor devices.
- Professional monitoring services, which can provide an extra level of security and peace of mind. In this case, trained security personnel will be alerted in the event of a security breach to take appropriate action and protect your home.
- User-friendly mobile app, allowing you to easily control and monitor your security system from your smartphone or tablet.
There are currently many Smart Home Security systems on the market with different offerings and specifications. Always keep in mind your budget and needs when choosing your home security. Here’s an article published by PC Magazine with a comprehensive comparison between the best Smart Home Security systems in 2023.
Any final tips?
Here are some additional tips for choosing and using a Smart Home Security system:
- Do your research. There are many different Smart Home Security systems on the market, so it’s essential to research and choose one that fits your needs and budget.
- Read reviews. Before buying a Smart Home Security system, read reviews from other customers to get an idea of what to expect.
- Consider your needs. Do you need a system that can be integrated with your current smart home devices?
- Get professional help. Don’t hesitate to hire a professional if you’re uncomfortable installing a Smart Home Security system yourself.
- Remember to thoroughly test the system right after its installation.
- Be aware of the risks. While Smart Home Security systems can offer many benefits, it’s essential to be mindful of the risks as well. For example, if your system is hacked, your personal information could be compromised. This leads to our last tip:
Always keep your system up to date. It’s essential to keep your Smart Home Security system up to date with the latest software and firmware. Doing this will ensure your system keeps working properly and stays equipped with the newest security enhancements.
What to do next?
As you decide whether to start using a Smart Home Security system, it might be time to refresh your knowledge of Smart Home devices and how to manage your privacy. These Senior Planet’s Zoom lectures might be timely helpful:
Also, be sure to join the group Smart Home Ingenuity on the Senior Planet Community platform to chat about home automation and smart home technologies with other like-minded individuals.
Do you use a Smart Home Security System? How is it working for you? Let us know in the comments! And leave a comment below with any questions or input that you might have!
Techspert Jonathan is Senior Planet’s Sr. Digital Community Relations and Product Specialist and a former Senior Planet San Antonio technology trainer. He is also an iOS developer with a background in Information Systems and Cyber Security.
Are You Digital Skills Ready?
Want to get even more digitally savvy? Senior Planet is proud to work with AARP Foundation on the Digital Skills Ready@50+™ initiative, made possible through a generous grant from Google.org. The resources focus on digital essentials to help older adults find and secure jobs, change careers, or explore entrepreneurship. Visit here to learn more and register – registration is required.
Jonathan, Senior Planet’s Techspert columnist, answers one of your questions every month, but for exclusive tech reports, talks, webinars and more, become a Senior Planet official Supporter. Learn more about becoming a Supporter and access to exclusive events and offerings here.
Like most senior living executives, Stephen Chapman of Navion Senior Living knew that meeting the company’s business goals in…